The public condemnations of the Tribunal of the Holy Office terrorised Spain for centuries. Travel through time to one of the darkest eras of the country's history: discover the spine-chilling secrets of the Spanish Inquisition on a dramatised route around Madrid.
Dramatised Inquisition Walking Tour Itinerary
You'll begin your Spanish Inquisition walking tour of Madrid at dusk in Plaza de la Provincia. Look deep into the gloom... someone is waiting for you. Dressed head-to-toe in Medieval Gothic attire and holding a flickering lantern, your professional storyteller will loom out of the shadows. Join them and prepare for your journey back in time to the era of the Black Legend of Spain.
In front of you, the majestic Palace of the Holy Cross stands imposingly. These days the location of the Spanish foreign affairs ministry, your guide will reveal the truth of its sinister past as the Cárcel de Corte, or state prison, where heretics would be condemned to death by burning at the stake.
Following your storyteller through a darkening cobbled alleyway, you'll reach Plaza Mayor. The elegant square, a popular tourist attraction, has not always been a happy place. During the Spanish Inquisition, the historic plaza would play host to the most gruesome spectacle of all: the auto-da-fé, or the public torturing and executions of the accused. These morbid shows served to warn the locals of their potential fate should they take a wrong step.
While you learn all about the historical background of the Tribunal of the Holy Office, you'll wander past ancient churches and monasteries, as well as visiting the sites where dungeons, prisons and gallows were located.
After journeying deep into the past and discovering the chilling ghost stories and tales of atrocities committed in the darkest days of the Spanish empire, you'll finish your tour - you'll never look at Madrid the same way again!
- This dramatised route around Madrid does not enter any monuments or museums, just visiting the outsides.
- The activity is not recommended for children under 10 years old.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 10 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Students with valid ID|
|English guided tour||
English guided tour
Students with valid IDUS$ 19.20
The tour is exclusively in English.
English speaking storyteller with expert knowledge of Spanish Inquisition history in Madrid.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
If there are still places available, you can book until the previous day (local time in Madrid).
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - this activity requires a minimum of 4 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Plaza de la Provincia.