Museums in Madrid
Madrid has some of the world’s most popular museums. This a list of the most important ones:
Golden Triangle of Art
- The Prado Museum is the most important art museum in Madrid and one of the most visited in the world. It features paintings by Velázquez and Goya, among many other renowned artists.
- The Reina Sofia Museum is one of the most visited museums in Madrid. Founded in 1992, it contains a large collection of twentieth century Spanish art. The museum contains works of art by painters like Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dalí and Joan Miró.
- The Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, also known as the Thyssen Museum, is one of the most visited museums in Madrid and it complements the Prado and Reina Sofia’s art collections. It features nearly 1,000 works of art collected by two generations of the Thyssen-Bornemisza family.
- The National Archaeological Museum in Madrid is the most important archaeological museum in Spain. It contains important pieces like the Dama de Elche (Lady of Elche).
- The Naval Museum (Museo Naval) reflects the history of the Spanish navy from the fifteenth century to the present day and contains paintings, coin collections, boats and weapons.
- Housed in a striking seventeenth century mansion in central Madrid, the Museo de Cerralbo is one of the most important in the city, although it is not very well-known.
Very soon we will add more information on other interesting museums in Madrid. For other great activities, check out our section on the best things to do in Madrid.