The green lung of Madrid is home to botanical, architectural and artistic delights as well as a number of curious secrets. Discover them on this guided tour of one of Spain's most famous parks.
Retiro Park Guided Walking Tour
Meet your professional English-speaking guide at one of the Retiro's most beautiful entrances: at the Plaza de la Independencia, just in front of the famous Puerta de Alcala, a Neoclassical gateway monument built in 1778.
You'll stroll amongst the luscious trees and manicured lawns of the park, reaching the iconic Retiro Pond or Estanque, overlooked by the impressive monument to Alfonso XII. Hear all about the history of the park and its development under the reign of Felipe IV.
Admire the architecture of the Palacio de Velazquez, a neoclassical red-brick and tile exhibition hall, and the Crystal Palace, originally built as a greenhouse and now used for art exhibitions as well. You'll also explore the area around the old "Casa de Fieras", or "House of Beasts", Madrid's first ever zoo.
To finish your guided walking tour of the Retiro, you'll stop at a few of the park's other gems, including the Fountain of the Fallen Angel. Amongst the many mysteries that surround this statue, one in particular stands out: it's located exactly 666 metres above sea level, the Number of the Beast... coincidence?
Important information: this tour begins at 1:00 pm at the Plaza de la Independencia by Retiro Park.
Combine your tour
Complete your experience and save money by combining your guided tour of Retiro Park with entrance to another of Madrid's main attractions:
Retiro guided tour + Royal Palace (3 hours)
As well as exploring Retiro Park, you'll visit the Palacio Real, the official residence of the Spanish royal family, which is nowadays open to visitors. Admire the beautiful white Baroque-Classicist building and its impressive surroundings. You'll visit the different royal chambers and learn about the lives of those who lived there through the majestic decorations and furnishings.
Important information: this tour is not available during the summer. It will start operating from October 1st, 2020, beginning at 9 am outside the Opera metro stop in Plaza de Isabel II.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 50% of their maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 3 and 6 years old||Children under 3 years old|
|Retiro guided tour||
|Retiro guided tour + Royal Palace||
US$ 49.70 US$ 39.70
US$ 41.40 US$ 33.10
Retiro guided tour
Children between 3 and 6 years oldUS$ 8.30
Children under 3 years oldFree
Retiro guided tour + Royal Palace
AdultsUS$ 49.70 US$ 39.70
Children between 3 and 6 years oldUS$ 41.40 US$ 33.10
Children under 3 years oldFree
1 hour 30 minutes.
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
Local English speaking guide with knowledge of history of the Retiro.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (12:00 am) if there are still places available.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.